Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The apology heard 'round the world

Today started like any other day, quiet.
I slept later than I have been, woke up and laid in silence for a bit. 
12:30p came around and my bestie called on her lunch break to chat. 
Around 1:30p I heard the house phone ring downstairs and then the ominous footsteps of the vi coming upstairs.  He pounded on the door, came in, and then wrapped the phone in my blankets before he spoke.
"Your mother is on the phone and wants to talk to you.  Don't get her upset cus she was crying again last night."
Yup, my fault again.  Even though I was the one to come up with ideas and thoughts about how to "fix" things it's still all me.
I get on the phone and surprisingly the monster is cheerful.
She says "Hi dear!"
I say hello...she then says "I'm sorry." followed by what sounds like muffled crying.
She composes herself and goes into a description of her life with my Nana.

Growing up with my Nana was very hard for her.  Between abuse to favoritism she never had a relationship with my Nana until she was in her 30's.  Even now it's somewhat fake only due to the fact that Nana will say one thing to her or complain about something and then to either my face or the Vi's face she will say and do the exact opposite of what she told the monster.  It's hard for monster to trust and to relax when it comes to solving everyone's problems.  She also said that it's because of everything that has happened at work.  The issues she has regarding fixing problems and trusting people have obviously flowed into her thoughts about me and that's not right.  She also said that I don't do everything wrong..I do alot of right.  I always have.  She's never had to worry about whether or not I'm a good kid.  I was always trustworthy growing up and still am.  She didn't mean to make me feel so badly about myself because there is no need to.
She no longer wanted to talk about things that make us angry, but is also not sure what we can talk about.  I offered to start with figuring out what we can do together such as her helping me finish the scrapbook I'm doing for my grandfather or fix her antique makeup table.  She said "yea I guess" and maybe we can do that.
We ended the conversation on a light note...saying I love you. 
I feel good, better than I have been in awhile.  One part of my life seems to be working toward the positive now I'm just hoping the other part follows suit.

1 comment:

  1. that's awesome hun, so glad things are getting better at home
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete